Obtain news and background information about sealing technology, get in touch with innovative products – subscribe to the free e-mail newsletter.
First-Class Engineering for a High-Demanding Environment
Sealing Solutions for Manufacturing
High functionality thanks to superior material quality: Seals from Freudenberg Sealing Technologies even withstand extremely high speeds and severe temperature fluctuations. This is essential for an environment as high-demanding as manufacturing. For our manufacturing customers, this means they can "drive" their machines faster and thus manufacture much more economically. Excellent seal effectiveness prevents leaks and the resulting machine breakdowns – reliably and lastingly. Costly downtime is eliminated. Service and repair expenses are also noticeably reduced.
High Functionality, Reduced Downtime
In the Iron and Steel industry, there are pronounced demands on people, materials and technology. Freudenberg Sealing Technologies provides compact sealing systems that seal reliably – even in extremely harsh conditions – to meet these challenges, as well as high operating life requirements, including temperature, stroke, speed, pressure, friction, duty cycle, radial force and lubricants.
Our seals contribute to:
- Better output – benefitting both quantity and quality
- Lower costs
- Less downtime
- Improved performance through longer maintenance cycles
Customers face unique requirements and challenges across their manufacturing operations, including steel mills, finishing lines, continuous casters and rolling mills. Learn more about our specific solutions for Stands, Gearboxes, Casters and EAFs.
For Mill Stands
Solutions for Balancing Cylinders and HAGC Cylinders
We offer solutions for maximum control of a short-stroke, high-frequency cylinder, as well as sealing systems that optimize protection for counter surfaces.
The well-matched combination of Freudenberg seals and guide bands prolongs service intervals. Our PTFE glass compound is self-lubricating and is gentle to the surface, which helps reduce maintenance costs.
Sealing Systems for Balancing Cylinders
- Superior adjustability and cylinder control, thanks to the advanced frictional behavior of Merkel Omegat PTFE seals
- The patented Merkel Guivex geometry enables high loads, while reducing the risk of metal-to-metal contact
- Our unique sealing arrangement helps improve performance and enables shorter housings
Download Solution Sheet ›
Sealing Systems for HAGC Cylinders
We have the expertise to improve the accuracy of HAGC cylinders, while boosting performance, reliability and durability.
- Minimum wear is critical. That’s why we use a self-lubricating PTFE glass compound, which is ideal for short strokes and high frequencies
- Our systems are also very functional, reliably handling high pressures (even above 30 MPa) due the heavy-duty design of the Merkel Omegat seal, and, simultaneously, offering maximum service life
- External “protective screen” in extremely dirty environments – Merkel double wiper PT 2 offers the best protection for a long-lasting sealing system
Download Solution Sheet ›
Solutions for Work Rolls and Back-up Rolls
Specially designed for work rolls, Freudenberg’s tailor-made sealing combination (RPM41 + Environmatic) provides secure and reliable sealing. For manufacturing customers, this adds up to maximum tons produced with minimal lost hours to downtime. We know how to increase service life for work rolls.
Our RPM41 + Environmatic combination offers these advantages:
- Readiness of supply – within hours, if needed
- Reliable protection against water ingress into lubricant
- Gentle to the housing – easy to install and remove
- Eliminates tension spring at the sealing lip for improved operational safety
Further Sealing System for Roller Bearings in Work Rolls
Sealing Systems for Plain Bearings in Back-up Rolls
- Solid performance – even up to ±3 mm shaft deflection, with speeds up to 35 m/s (40 m/s intermittent)
- Self-retaining fit by vulcanized-in steel bands
- Simple, housing-friendly installation
FOR YOUR WORK ROLL BEARINGS
Merkel Radiamatik RPM41 + Merkel Envirnomatic
Sealing Systems for Continuous Caster Segments
Simmerring Type BAUM for Open Housings
- High wear resistance for long service life at high temperatures
- Standard seals are readily available
- Simple installation for low service cost
Simmerring BAUM with self-retaining fit in the housing. In case of heavy contamination, a protective lip or “filter fleece” is available to help optimize operating life.
When It Gets Too Hot
- Reliable protection of the bearing against contamination by PTFE wiper
- Suitable for high speeds and high temperatures
- Low friction and greatly reduced wear due to Freudenberg’s self-developed, high- quality PTFE compounds that, in addition to the actual sealing function, also protect the counter surface
Both made of Carbon filled PTFE: Merkel U-ring NRRW in combination with a Merkel water guard WADB-9460
Sealing Systems for Electric Arc Furnaces (EAF)
For Easy Replacement
- Long lifetime, even without bellow protection of the rod
- Reliable sealing function, even if the rod is highly strained
- Split version for ease of installation and reduced maintenance cost
For Low Friction and Long-Stroke Performance
Our products are designed to reduce friction loss.
- Stick-slip-free operation allows precise positioning
- Ideal sealing function for long service intervals without leakage
* Important note: The rod must be protected against sparks and similar hazards
Contact Us Today
Our steel and iron industry experts can address all your questions, including:
- Flexible profiles
- Non-standard seal sizes
- Delivery times
- Short- and long-stroke systems
- Emergency services
- On-site troubleshooting capabilities
Together with key partners, Freudenberg provides a wide range of high-quality sealing systems, including complete sealing kits to meet your needs.
Sealing Solutions for Metal Processing
Our products and services are renowned for their outstanding performance. It’s good to know that we can make valuable contribution to the success of major OEM‘s and after market customers in various industries.
Sealing Solution for Plain Bearings
Freudenberg offers solid sealing performance, self-retaining fit and simple installation for plain bearings with Merkel Radiamatic RHS 51 and Enviromatic EAX.
Sealing Solution for Work Rolls
Specially designed for work rolls, Freudnberg’s tailor-made sealing combination provides secure and reliable sealing.
Sealing Solution for EAF Low Friction
Freudenberg sealing solution reduces friction loss and prevents leakage during long service intervals. Combine Double wiper PT 1, U-cup L20, Rod seal and guide band for low friction and long-stroke performance
Sealing Solutions for EAF Easy Replacement
The combination of Merkel V-Packing set ESV and Merkel wiper P6 offers unique robustness, easy installation and long-term reliable sealing function.
Solution Sheet for Balancing Cylinders
Our unique sealing arrangements of Merkel Double Wiper PT2, Rod Seal and Guivex Guide Bands combined to enable high loads, reduce friction and provide shorter housings.
Solution Sheet for HAGC Cylinder
Our sealing solution combines Merkel Double Wiper PT2, rod seal, piston seal and Merkel Guivex guide band to minimize wear, extend protection, improve the accuracy of HAGC cylinders, while boosting performance, reliability and durability.
Merkel V-Packing Set ES / ESV
Merkel V-Packing Set ES or type ESV are multi-part seal sets for sealing piston rods, comprising one pressure ring, at least three V-rings and one support ring. The V-packing sets are available in three different versions.
Merkel Omegat OMS-S
Merkel Omegat OMS-S is a two-piece seal set for sealing piston rods, consisting of a PTFE profile ring and an elastomer profile ring as a pre-stress element.
Merkel Omegat OMK-S
Merkel Omegat OMK-S is a two-piece seal set for sealing pistons, consisting of a PTFE profile ring and an elastomer Profile ring as a pre-stress element.
Merkel Guivex SBK / KBK
Merkel Guivex SBK respectively the version KBK are profiled piston (SBK) and rod (KBK) guide rings made of resin bonded fabric.
Merkel Enviromatic EAX
Merkel Enviromatic EAX is a deflector seal made of elastomeric material featuring an axially acting sturdy sealing lip with a well-defined sealing edge.
Merkel Omegat OMS-MR
Merkel Omegat OMS-MR is a two-piece seal set for sealing piston rods, consisting of a PTFE Profile ring and an O-ring as a prestressing element.
Merkel U-Cup L20
Merkel U-Cup L20 is an elastomer U-Cup seal with an asymmetrical profile.
Merkel Double Wiper PT 1
Merkel Double Wiper PT 1, consisting of a PTFE profile ring with one sealing and one wiping edge, plus two O-rings as pre-stressing elements.
Merkel Radiamatic RHS 51
Merkel Radiamatic RHS 51 is a radial shaft seal for high circumferential speeds, consisting of two different rubber compounds and an integrated steel band. A new spring system exerts evenly radial force over the whole circumference of the sealing lip, even at high misalignment of the shaft.
Merkel Double Wiper PT 2
Merkel Double Wiper PT 2, consisting of a PTFE profile ring with one sealing edge and one wiper edge, plus two O-rings as prestress elements.
Merkel wiper P 6
Merkel wiper P 6 is a single-acting elastomer dirt wiper with support segments to avoid twisting.
Merkel Radiamatic R 37
Merkel Radiamatic R 37 is a radial shaft seal consisting of a fabric reinforced section of sturdy design, firmly bonded to the rubber sealing lip. A helical tension spring assists radial contact pressure of the lip on the shaft.
Merkel Radiamatic R 58
Merkel Radiamatic R 58 is a radial shaft seal consisting of a fabric reinforced section of sturdy design, firmly bonded to the rubber sealing lip. A helical tension spring assists radial contact pressure of the lip on the shaft. Radial shaft seal with a groove around the circumference to facilitate additional lubrication from the outside.
Merkel Radiamatic RPM 41 Seal
The Radiamatic RPM 41 is a Simmerring® made from an elastomer material with an embedded steel body featuring radial and circumferential lubricating grooves for twin arrangement. The Radiamatic RPM 41 is typically used for sealing flange bores on working rolls in rolling mills.
Experience Freudenberg Sealing Technologies, its products and service offerings in text and videos, network with colleagues and stakeholders, and make valuable business contacts.Connect on LinkedIn!